Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tuesday, October 5

 Yesterday, we made the long drive to Mazumbai Forest.  The scenery was beautiful as we drove up through the mountains on a very twisty road.  We are camping on the lawn of a Swiss Chalet!  It is nice to be able to eat and hang out inside.  This morning, Baba Jack set us loose in the forest to explore nature on our own.  “Don’t worry, other than the snakes, there is nothing in there that could kill you!”  He gave us full liberty to swing naked from vines.  We took off our watches, but were supposed to come back by noon.  I strayed from the path and fought my way through the brush.  I found a really beautiful tree to sit under and think for a long time.  It was really wonderful being alone in the forest.  I also found a tree to climb, and was super impressed with myself when I slung my kanga over a branch and used it as a rope!  When the sun started getting higher in the sky, I started making my way back down the mountain.  I didn’t really end up where I expected, so I had to cross a huge tea field but then there was a huge swath of pricker brush between me and the path I needed to be on.  There was no, choice, so I fought my way through.  When I got to the middle, I started wondering if I was going to be able to get out!  I am kind of scraped up and had to pull out a few prickers, but I made it out!  This was such a different experience from the National Parks where we are confined to the safari cars.
 After lunch, we all went back into the forest together to learn about the ecology of the forest.  It was quite a hike straight up the mountain, and you can definitely feel the elevation here!  The hike back down was also steep and slippery!  We arrived back at camp exhausted and just in time for dinner.
 What an exciting day exploring the forest!

No comments:

Post a Comment