Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sunday, September 26 (continued…evening)

      We managed to find a dala dala to take us (and all of our stuff) up to Bangata.  We weren’t sure if the dala dala was going to survive all the bumps, but somehow we made it.  When we dropped Jason off at his house, we noticed there was a new goat in the yard.  Then, his Baba (my Baba’s brother) came running out to greet us and introduce us to Oliver.  Oliver was Baba Koko’s first SIT student from 1992.  He has come back with his American family to visit since then.  Baba Koko even named his son Oliver.  Oliver pays for the kids to go to school.  We visited for awhile and found out that he has a home in Peterborough, NH!
    I arrived home and was warmly welcomed with many hugs.  Later, Baba Koko, Oliver, and Jason came by to invite us to the celebration they were having.  They slaughtered the goat and were having a party!  Mama, Bahati, and I went over after dinner.  All the men were outside roasting the meat, drinking, and having a good time.  When we arrived, I thought we would join them, but we greeted them at a distance and then sat inside.  Women were clearly not meant to be a part of the celebration.  They brought in a chunk of goat (I have no idea which part) on a long stick.  Mama Koko cut it up and I did my best to eat a few pieces.  It was mostly skin and fat- I don’t know how they can eat it.  I picked off the meat, and I think the kids ate my scraps.  It kind of smells like fish, but doesn’t taste too bad.  I have scrubbed my hands, but I can’t seem to get the smell out.  They knew I was tired, so we didn’t stay too long.  We walked home by the light of a beautiful orange moon.  It’s good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment