Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thursday, November 25

 Happy Thanksgiving!
 We made it back to Arusha!  The rest of our stay in Mto wa Mbu was fairly uneventful.  Except, one day I went for a walk.  The bottom part of the sole of my sandal can unattached and was flapping when I walked.  A man on a bike noticed and stopped to say sorry and hello.  Then, he bent down and took my shoe off my foot to have a closer look.  He said it could be fixed if I had 500 shillings ($0.33).  He said he would take me there to get it fixed.  He wouldn’t let me walk with the condition of my sandal, so he gave me a ride on the back of his bike.  The shoe man rubber cemented and stitched the sole right back on- good as new.  What a kind act from a stranger who wanted nothing in return.  The shoe man, however, was pretty serious about us getting married so I could take him back to the US!
 As our dala dala stopped in Arusha, they opened up the back to let a sheep out.  We had no idea we had been riding with a sheep right under our seat the whole time!!
 Since the theme of this seems to be funny stories, here’s one more.  Last night, I was all ready for bed and just going to brush my teeth.  I turned the faucet, and somehow the whole thing broke off.  It didn’t just pop off; metal actually snapped off!  Scalding hot water was gushing out and made the metal so hot that there was no chance of me trying to fix it.  I quickly got dressed and ran downstairs to hopefully find someone working still.  I was trying to explain the situation in Kiswahili, but he just thought I had no hot water.  I had plenty of hot water.  He tried to fix it, and was just leaving and said it would be fine as long as I don’t touch it.  Just then, it blew off again!  He thought it was pretty funny.  Then, he filled a little bucket with water and balanced it on top of the faucet to hold it down.  “Hamna shida!” (No problem!)
 It was a nice treat to be able to talk on the phone with my family today!  Most of the students have just arrived back in Arusha and we all went out for Chinese food for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment