Thursday, November 25, 2010

Saturday, November 20

We are still in Mto wa Mbu working on ISP’s. I finished all 50 of my interviews and now I am working on analyzing my data, writing my report, and making a powerpoint presentation. We don’t have a working power outlet in our room, so we usually spend our afternoons by the pool at the Twiga Campsite. We can swim to cool off and use their power outlets. I have also done some Christmas shopping here. It’s really great to be able to cook here. Lots of delicious grilled tomato or fried egg sandwiches, rice and veggies, and I even made spaghetti and homemade sauce! And of course, plenty of delicious bananas. They grow over 30 varieties in this town! An, if we don’t feel like cooking, there is always wali na maharage (rice and beans) at all of the restaurants.
It’s hard to believe that I’ll be home in less than a month now! I’m trying to decide what I am most excited for:

(other than family and friends, in no particular order)
flush toilets (that actually flush)
turkey wraps
macaroni and cheese (or maybe just cheese in general)
cold enough to sleep with blankets
not living out of a backpack
hot shower with pressure (it’s usually only one or the other here)
internet whenever you want it
consistent electricity
clean feet
washing machine
cookies/brownies/ice cream
cold milk
bagels (blueberry, toasted with cream cheese)
meat that you can actually chew, without shards of bone
apples
not feeling like a celebrity walking down the street
no mosque calls at 5 am
no mosquito nets (or mosquitoes, for that matter)
wearing pants in public
Harry Potter movie
Not having to steripen my water
Not being constantly asked for things- pens, money, candy, watch, backpack, shoes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment