Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sunday, November 7

 I spent the rest of finals week in Arusha, writing papers.  We had 5 people staying in a triple room, so it was a little crowded!  I survived off of lots of peanut butter, bread, and fresh fruits and veggies from the market.  It is fun to buy a ton of fresh food for so little money!  We had a nice “good luck” dinner Thursday before we all left for ISP.  After getting stuck in traffic in a dala dala that kept breaking down, we finally got to the restaurant an hour late!  We ended up having to get out and walk at the end.  We all go $550 in a huge stack of shillings and a hug, and then we were all on our own!  There is a group of 6 of us doing our projects in Mto wa Mbu.  We are staying in some guest rooms in the home of the headmistress of the secondary school.  We were each supposed to have our own room, but they haven’t finished building the rest of the rooms yet.  For now, we are sharing with 2 in a room.  It’s not bad, and it’s only 4,000 shillings each per night (about $2.50!).  There is also a kitchen we can use.  Last night we cooked out 1st meal of noodle, stir fried veggies, fried potatoes, tomatoes, and pineapple. 
 I have started collecting data about charcoal production for my project.  So far, I have only done 2 interviews.  Hopefully I can find a lot more people soon!  My guide takes me out for a few hours each morning for interviews, but I have a lot of free time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment