Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday, September 4

Today was my first day in Bangata.  It was an adventure from the start when we had to walk home from Mama Nunu's center.  I never expected we would have to hike up and down steep ravines and cross a river!  Baba Jack said that hiking boots would not be necessary!  The family is welcoming, but there were a lot of awkward silences.  I'm not really sure what people do aroud here. They speak more English than I expected, which is comforting now, but I'm not really forced to use my Kiswahili.  Noel (my brother) showed me around town.  I am excited for my sisters Bahati and Belinda to arrive.  I have been trying a lot of new things, like tea, avacados, and beans.  I don't really like any of them,  but I'm doing my best.  I think I even figured out the squat toilet!  The family has someone who is paid to take care of the gardens and the cows.  It is interesting how gender roles play out here.  I never saw Baba leave the couch all evening.  As soon as he finished eating, I was asked to clear his plate.  Noel and I eat at the table while Baba is waited on at the couch and Mama waits to eat last.  Tomorrow, we will go to church.  I am hoping to see some other SIT wanafunzi (students) there!

No comments:

Post a Comment